Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bacon, bacon, bacon...

I have lost my cooking mojo. Everything comes out over cooked, under cooked, or I find I'm missing key ingredients at critical times. Last Wednesday I realised that my roast bacon-wrapped pumpkin would take over an hour to cook, so I put it in the fridge and made something else. Then on Thursday, I realised we'd be eating bacon-wrapped pumpkin with bacon-wrapped meat loaf...
Anyway, the recipe. I'm not sharing the meatloaf one, because it was a bit bland and I want to tweak it. But the bacon-wrapped pumpkin was as awesome as it sounds. I probably could have eaten it by itself.
Bacon-wrapped Pumpkin from Donna Hay
1/2 Japanese pumpkin in thick slices (Donna used a quartered butternut)
12 bacon slices
1/4 cup olive oil
sea salt and pepper to taste
Toss the pumpkin with the oil, salt and pepper. Wrap each piece of pumpkin in bacon (secure with toothpicks if necessary). Roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes, at 160 degrees, until tender.
I love Donna.

Got some pumpkin left over? Try pumpkin soup, chicken and pumpkin risotto, pumpkin and feta pasta or pumpkin curry.

No comments: