Monday, December 04, 2006

A $21 Challenge - a frugal food fest.

On the SS website (see link over on the right somewhere) there has been a lot of discussion about doing a $21 challenge. The challenge being to spend only $21 on food for the week, and use up everything you have sitting around in the cupboard and the freezer. Seeing as I didn't get time to shop, I guess I'll be doing that this week.
In the freezer, I have three lots of casserole beef, one big bag of mince, some puff pastry, frozen peas and flat bread.
In the cupboard I have tinned tomatoes, beans, coconut milk, cous cous, pasta & stirfry noodles.
(and lots of baking stuff, including 5 types of flour... how did I end up with 5 types of flour?)
In the fridge I have yoghurt, milk, 3 eggs, 5 potatoes, 2 sick looking tomatoes, some cheese, plus the ingredients for the pumpkin and feta pasta I was going to eat last week.
So far, the menu is going to be
- pumpkin & feta pasta (I mean it this time!!!)
- baked potatoes with chilli con carne
- flat-bread pizza
- beef & red wine stew in the slow cooker
- some sort of beef curry that i'll decide at a later date.
And that takes us through to Friday!
I'll let you know how it goes...

No comments: