Saturday, March 03, 2007

Why?

I've been writing this blog for a while now, and I'm thinking it might need a bit of an explanation. In our house there are just two people, Ryan and I. We both have full time jobs so money isn't tight, but time often is. I hated coming home to a messy kitchen, late, with no idea what to cook. I hated buying take-away every week - it felt greasy, gross and such a cop-out. There was also the whole issue of cash - I wasn't really sure how much money we spent on groceries, but it felt like an awful lot. And I regretted the times we ate out, not because we wanted to, but because we couldn't be bothered cooking, or there was no food to cook.

Things are different now. I generally know what sort of things I'll cook each week, and how much money I've spent. I choose where and when I shop, and I know I'm eating good food. We hardly ever throw anything away, and as for eating out, my friends usually come here instead. : )
I started this blog for two reasons - it's a great, social way to keep track of what cooking adventures work and which ones don't. Also, people are always surprised that I cook most nights - "You cook?" is said in the same incredulous tones as "you save?". So I guess I'm trying to prove to myself and my friends that you can be a foodie without spending all your play money on food. And still fitting in to your favourite jeans.

Over the next couple of weeks, I'm going to write some posts about the 'how' of what we do. None of it is rocket science but it works for us, and has made the whole process of food shopping, cooking and eating into something we really enjoy doing together. I'm even enjoying it so much, I've started writing about it!

No comments: