Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Purple Goodness - Beetroot Pizza

You may have noticed I have a thing for beetroot. When I see beautiful bunches of baby beetroot in the farmers' market, I can't help but buy. (I have a thing for alliteration, too.)
I thought I'd exhausted all beetroot possibilities (roasted, souped, dipped, burgered) before it occurred to me that I'd never put beets on a pizza.
It worked out really, really well.
Beetroot Pizza
Put four baby beetroots in the oven to roast for half an hour, or until they are tender. Make a batch of the best-ever pizza base. Roll out a quarter of it to make the beetroot pizza (I made salami and tomato with the others). Spread with natural yoghurt and sprink with harissa spice mix. Slice the beetroot, and top the pizza with beetroot, cheese and fresh coriander. Cook as normal.
(and don't tell ryan you used yoghurt for the sauce - not until after he's eaten it)

2 comments:

Grizabella said...

Wow, i have never thought about having beetroot on pizza... thanks for sharing your recipe.

Anonymous said...

I just discovered beetroot pizza myself. Not from you, but just from having not much in my fridge and needing to find other things to put in my pizza. But it is SOOOOOO good. I love it. I'm going to have to tell my local pizzeria about this and see if they can add it to their menu!