Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Some Pictures from the big batch cooking



Call me slack, but I thought I'd post some pictures of the big vegetarian cook-up. This beautiful, healthy looking concoction was the Mexican-vegie pasta. It turned out colourful, and satisfying, but it doesn't pack a huge flavour punch. As it was for a new mum, I'm not too worried - I don't think spicy food is supposed to be good for breast milk (maybe somebody else knows better?).

I'm still drooling over all the photos I see on other peoples' food blogs. So when I can steal the camera from Ryan, I've started experimenting with my photos. You can see some awesome food photography at Frugal Cuisine, Milk and Cookies and in any of the Recipe Carousels hosted at Morsels and Musings.


Back to the food. My favourite of our big batches was definitely the slow-cooker dhal. It was tasty, with a lingering spiciness, but all the tomatoes gave it a comforting flavour as well. It's the first dhal I've had that I'm content to eat on by itself. I didn't take any pictures of the finished product, but here's a look at all the colour as it goes into the wok. The onions, spices and tomatoes get a quick simmer before being added to the lentils in the slow cooker. With mustard seeds, cumin and ground coriander, it smelt pretty good too.

No comments: