Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Cheesy Roast Vegetable Tarts

I looked in the fridge and found about 50g of left over goats cheese and a big chunk of pumpkin. I wasn't really sure what I could make, but the cheese made me think of Rosie and I knew I didn't want to waste it. Goats cheese is one of those ingredients that can seem extravagantly expensive, but it only takes a small amount to flavour a whole dish.
Anyway, despite the haphazard beginnings, this turned out beautifully. I don't think I'll ever run out of things to do with roasted vegetables.

Cheesy Roast Vegetable Tarts

Chop up about a quarter of a butternut pumpkin, a carrot and half a red capsicum. Roast them in the oven with a couple of unpeeled cloves of garlic. Meanwhile, slice an onion as thin as you can. Saute the onion with some butter and olive oil in a frying pan, until just soft. Then turn the heat down low and cover, and leave to cook for about half an hour, stirring occasionally. The aim is caramelized onions, but I wasn't patient enough to let them get completely brown.

Pull out a piece of puff pastry from the freezer, and let it defrost on the bench.

When the roasting veggies look cooked and feel tender, pull them out of the oven and put them in a mixing bowl to cool. Squeeze the cloves of garlic and put the insides in with the vegetables. Then crumble in the goats cheese and stir well. Cut the pastry into whatever shapes please you. I just cut it in half (one for me and one for Ryan). Heat the oven up to 200 degrees. Top the pastry with the onion, and the onion with the cheesy vegetable mess. Cook in the oven until the pastry is puffy and golden.

Don't let it get cold before you eat it.

No comments: