Saturday, July 07, 2007

Destitute Gourmet - A favourite Cookbook

This is a shameless cook book plug. I think I've written about Donna Hay, and the occasional Jamie recipe. Sophie Gray is another big favourite that you might not have heard of before.
What I like about Donna Hay is the simplicity, but often that simplicity relies on premium ingredients that I wouldn't normally buy. I'm happy to buy bocconcini cheese, or rib eye steak, or swordfish - but I'd never buy them all in one week.
Sophie Gray recipes take the next step. There's an emphasis on cooking from scratch, working within a budget, and still creating very flash food. Where a Donna Hay pie recipe might use frozen puff pastry, the Sophie version includes a simple shortcrust recipe. I just wish her cookbooks had more pictures!
Sophie Gray writes as the Destitute Gourmet, and her website is here. Another bonus for us Australian's - Sophie is a New Zealander, so all the measurements and ingredients are familiar. Anyway, here is a picture of 'Casserole of Chicken and Thyme' also featuring her herby dumplings.

2 comments:

fitcat said...

I'm going to see if our library has this book - the recipes all look so delicious and I've only heard good things about it.

I'm definitely going to try that sausage recipe and the asparagus one as well!

kazari_lu said...

thanks fitcat! it's good to get a comment when i've been neglecting my blog for so long.


For some reason, blogger won't let me add a title to this post - it's a bit maddening! Hopefully it will work with the next one.