Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Soup, glorious soup

I like soup. I've realised that if I take soup for lunch, it's a good thing for my weight. It fills me up, is chock full of vegetables, and generally low in fats and simple carbs. Cheap, tasty, healthy, filling. So I made a big batch of vegetable stock from my new Women's Weekly cookbook.
6 Litres is a lot of stock.
I froze a lot. Some got turned into beetroot risotto (Steve at work said 'who did you kill to make that?'). Some got turned into Carrot and Coriander soup. The last bit got made into Spicy Spinach and Chickpea soup. Steve said, 'Oh yuck! You've blended kermit!'
So just in case you want to pack your freezer with nutritious lunches (or gross-out your workmates) I'm posting my recipe for spinach soup. Yummy, healthy and entertaining.
Spicy Spinach Chickpea Soup
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 chopped green onions
1 tsp whole coriander seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp chilli flakes
2 Cups vegetable stock
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 Cups packed chopped fresh spinach
Fry onions, garlic and coriander in a saucepan, until the onion is translucent. Add the tumeric, cumin and chilli, then half the veggie stock to deglaze the pan. Add the rest of the stock and the spinach, and cook until just wilted. Remove the pan from the heat and use a stick blender to puree the soup. Gently reheat (to much heat will cause it to lose that kermit colour!). Add the chickpeas and stir until heated through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks really tasty, and not at all like you've cooked a beloved Muppet.